Arthritis...what a frustrating disease! Jane was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatory Arthritis almost exactly a year ago. She has arthritis in both of her knees. The pain ranges from day to day. There are days she wakes up and feels just fine. There are days she wakes up with a little aching in her knees. Other days she wakes up quivering with pain. She is on a pain medication right now. She takes it first thing in the morning and right before she goes to bed. Her body has adjusted pretty well to the medication. She got over the drowsiness it first caused but still has some digestive issues because of it. One thing is for sure, if I'm not consistent with the medication her pain worsens. One change this year is that she occasionally will have knee pain in the middle of the day.
Jane saw her Rheumatory Specialist, Dr. Sheets, early this week. He presented the option of a stronger medication to me. He says it's the same medication they use in chemo therapy but just a very small dosage, so it doesn't come with the same side effects. However, there ARE side effects. She would take the medication once a week, he suggested Friday night because it tends to make you nauseous or have a sick stomach. Also, it slows the production of folic acid so she'd have to take that supplement daily. She would also have to have monthly blood tests to make sure there is no damage to the liver. Yikes!
I left the Dr. office totally overwhelmed with information and a huge weight on my shoulders having to make this decision for my 4year old daughter.
Later that day I was able to sort through all of my thoughts and realize that I don't have to make this decision alone. I know my Heavenly Father will guide me as I pray and educate myself on everything. I found the Arthritis Foundation page on Facebook for those suffering with arthritis or who have family suffering with arthritis and already have heard from many people with similar situations.
So, for now, I'm considering my options, praying, reading up on things, and hoping for the best. I pray each night that she will be able to grow out of the arthritis and that this won't be something that is long-term. For now we're giving ourselves the month of February to monitor Jane and pray about what would be best.

2 comments:
I'm so sorry!!! I ran a marathon over 10 years ago and raised money for the Arthritis Foundation and learned so much more about the various ways it presents itself. I hope this is something she'll be able to manage/grow out of eventually.
I know the Lord will guide you. You are a strong woman of deep faith. My prayers are with you guys.
Post a Comment