Saturday, October 24, 2009

SPEECH please!

Bruce used to have a difficult time pronouncing his words correctly. It was very frustrating for him and I felt terrible that every time he said something to someone, the person would look at me for a translation(including Robert). He had a hard time communicating with his teacher and friends at school. Luckily he had a great Kindergarten teacher who was very patient and never made Bruce feel uncomfortable. After quite a process I got him in to a Speech program at his elementary school at the beginning of Kindergarten. The report was: "He distorts the v, sh, ch, th, r, and omits l at the end of words." Well, what a difference a year makes. I just had a meeting with his 1st grade teacher and his Speech teachers and they could not believe what an improvement Bruce has made over last year and especially this summer. The report now is: "Bruce is now able to produce the v, sh, ch, th correctly in sentences and conversational speech." Now all he has to work on is the final l and the r, though the r is considered "age appropriate".
Anyway, we're so proud of Bruce and the progress he's made. He is such a bright kid...and excellent reader, well behaved, top of his class, and VERY social. He'll talk your ear off...AND YOU'LL UNDERSTAND EVERY WORD. :)

4 comments:

Ember said...

This is great! I'm glad he has made such great progress.

Ginger said...

horray!! good for him! im sure its because he has worked so hard.

that picture is a gem.

Robert Thompson said...

Something must be done about the dates on the pictures.

KaDee said...

I've since taken the date setting off of the camera. This pic was taken before I figured it out.