Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Life...Cherish It

This afternoon I attended the funeral of a beautiful blond hair, blue eyed 9 year old boy. He is the only boy in his family, with two younger sisters. His name is Max and he is the son of friends of ours here in Oceanside. He died in a boating accident this past Saturday. Since I am in primary I've been able, in some small way, to be a little part of Max's life here on earth. He always has stood out as a bright light and example. Kind, outgoing, funny, and thoughtful. Last Sunday in primary there was such a sense of sadness that we wouldn't again be able to see sweet Max and hear him answer questions, help other children read, and laugh with his friends.

My heart has been full and aching for his dear parents and Robert and I have been very tearful about this situation. As a parent I only  have an inkling as to the terrible pain his mother and father are going through. The hole in their hearts that will never be filled. Their aching to hear his voice again and to hold him and to tuck him in at night. The empty bedroom that you'd never want to touch or change. I've thought of the long nights they have ahead and the days they must keep on living without their son. The questions they will be asked, the memories and pictures they will always cherish. Watching other boys grow while you hurt so much inside to see theirs do the same. It's times like these when I am ever grateful for the atonement and the healing and peace that it can bring about.

I've always watched this family and envied how much they love each other. Leanne(the mother) always with a happy attitude and a smile on her face, Ryan(the father) always with a kind word to say. They love their children and it shows. Each spoke at the funeral and it broke my heart. Leanne shared a final letter she wanted to share with Max, speaking of the excitement of when she found out she was pregnant with him and the miracle of holding him the first time. Ryan shared how the tried to hard to save Max's life as they tried to revive him and life flight him to the hospital and that they wanted to keep him here on this earth. But, Heavenly Father had other plans for this special young boy.

I left the funeral today with a determination to be a better person, a better wife, and especially a better mother. For all the times I'm tired of cleaning up messes, and getting up in the middle of the night. For all those times I feel I don't have enough patience, or don't have enough time. Every time I think of these things I will think of the mother and father I saw today who would do anything to have those times back.


These children are so special. When sealed in the temple we are promised to be with our families forever after this life, we are not promised a specific length of time we are allowed with our children on earth. Cherish each moment. Hold your child today and tell them you love them. Sit down and play even when you don't have time. Stay at home with your children and raise them, if you can. One day we will not look back and regret that we didn't work more or that we didn't have more things, but we will regret if we do not cherish each moment with our children and families.

I am grateful for my Heavenly Father and for my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. I am grateful that many of my callings in the church have allowed me to serve some of His precious children. What an honor. I am most grateful to be a mother and to have Bruce, Linda, Jane, and Claire as my children. They are my best friends. They will always be my greatest accomplishments in this life.

5 comments:

Ginger said...

oh KaDee. How sad. Thanks for sharing...you are so right and thanks for sharing. I could certainly use that advice.

Robert Thompson said...

We love the Harris family. They are our friends and part of our ward family. We had several visits from Ryan after Bruce was born and Max was very young. We are praying for them.

The Hatch's said...

How sad. I could never imagine all they are going through. Thanks for sharing this. All will be well in the end.

mamadonna said...

Beautiful sentiments and truths, KaDee. Nothing could be more heartbreaking than to loose a child.

Stephanie Pilling said...

What heart-breaking story, KaDee. Hearing this makes me want to hold my babies and never let go. So grateful the our knowledge of eternal families!