Saturday, February 13, 2010

New TV + Roaches = Stress

On our cross-country move, our tv somehow lost it's color. It would only play in green and purple. So, we decided to buy another one. We went with a flat screen that we purchased at Walmart. No stress in that, right? WRONG!! Everything seemed normal. We sat the boxed tv in front of our fireplace for the night. In the morning, I saw a little bug near our stairs. I thought it was odd because I hadn't seen any bugs in the house since we moved in. Anyway, I opened the tv box, put the base of the tv on, and put it up on the edge of the kitchen counter that is between the family room and the kitchen. (We were getting a tv stand the next day.) That same day, I could've sworn I saw a tiny cockroach run across my kitchen counter. I killed it and went and bought bug spray that very afternoon. I was just hoping it was just a random sighting and that it wasn't from the house. So, nothing else unusual happens that day.
About 1am I hear Linda upstairs coughing. I decide to get up and get some cough medicine for her from the kitchen. I flip on the light to find about 20 little cockroaches scurrying around the kitchen counter that the tv is on. PANIC! My mom is here visiting and I yell for her(Robert is not coherent at 1am). We were quite the scene. Neither of us have our contacts in and we're trying to smash these little roaches as fast as we can with whatever we can find...all the while getting the bug spray and going to town on the kitchen counter & surrounding walls.
Now, you have to know that my worst nightmare is a house full of cockroaches. Once you have them, they are extremely hard to get rid of. So, I am completely stressed out about how I'm ever going to live in peace constantly worrying about roaches.

Long story short, after a lot of thought and investigation, we figure out that the tv we just bought is full of roaches!!! We set it in the garage to see if we were right. No more roach sightings on the counter, and there were little roaches around the tv in the garage. Disgusting. I surrounded the tv in the garage with bug spray and roach traps just in case. Robert took the tv back which was an ordeal in itself. I can now live in peace in my home. However, I am having it professionally sprayed next week to ensure that any of those nasty things that may have escaped in to the house are dead.

What an ordeal. I would've never thought in 100years that that could happen!

7 comments:

The Hatch's said...

It has to be that walmart! Iwould never buy from THAT walmart again. You never know what other critters you can bring home. Roaches are my biggest fear too.

sjones said...

Wow how brave you were. I know your fear of bugs.

Ginger said...

KaDee this is this CRAZIEST story EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am all itchy just after reading this. Soooooooooo GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid, stupid walmart.

on a happier note, I am in love with your playlist! You have such a great taste in music! :)

Stephanie Pilling said...

Ahhhh! I hate roaches (and pretty much all other bugs) too. So gross! I wonder why they would live inside a TV? Do they eat the wires? Weird!

And I think its so funny you didn't even bother to wake Robert. That is exactly how Bruce is too. If the world end in the middle of the night Bruce will sleep right through it! :)

Jessica said...

Horrible!!! I wonder if someone else bought that same TV and returned it...

Mallory said...

YUCK! That's terrible!!

KaDee said...

Bruce said: The tv is really nice.